Good morning Wolverines families - The final season of our inaugural year of Wolverines sports is underway with baseball, wrestling, women's tennis and track & field getting started over the past week. We've had a year to be proud of, and we're excited to be planning and getting ready for Season 2. With that in mind, I wanted to send some notes and reminders as we move towards optional summer workouts and fall tryouts. Please read this information carefully:
1. ACADEMICS: Per NCHSAA guidelines, in order for a student to be eligible to compete in athletics, they must pass 3-of-4 classes during the previous semester. With that said, the current Spring semester's final grades will determine eligibility for the fall and winter seasons. For those students in danger of not meeting the 3-of-4 standard, now is the time to consult with your coaches, teachers and guidance counselors to determine a course of action that will enable you to pass 3-of-4 and maintain eligibility.
2. ATHLETICS REGISTRATION: In order to participate in any workouts or athletic practices, a student-athlete must be registered for sports at West Cabarrus. Online registration for athletics at West Cabarrus for the 21-22 school year is not yet available. Once the online link for 21-22 registration goes live (typically around June 1st), another email will be sent with that information.
3. OPTIONAL SUMMER WORKOUTS: Summer workouts for Wolverines sports teams may begin on June 7th. While not all sports will conduct summer skill development, many will. Participation in summer workouts is not required of any student-athlete. With the addition of another class of students this fall, we fully expect to field V and JV teams in football, soccer, volleyball, cheer, boys and girls basketball, softball and baseball. To find out more about summer team plans, please contact your sport's coach at the following email addresses:
a. Football - firstname.lastname@example.org
b. Volleyball - email@example.com
c. Cross-Country - firstname.lastname@example.org
d. Cheerleading - email@example.com
e. Men's and Women's Soccer - firstname.lastname@example.org
f. Men's and Women's Golf - email@example.com (Coach Bethea)
g. Men's and Women's Tennis - firstname.lastname@example.org
h. Wrestling - email@example.com
i. Men's Basketball - firstname.lastname@example.org
j. Women's Basketball - email@example.com
k. Swimming - firstname.lastname@example.org (Trey San Jose)
l. Men's Track & Field - email@example.com
m. Women's Track & Field - firstname.lastname@example.org
n. Softball - email@example.com
o. Baseball - firstname.lastname@example.org
4. SUMMER DEAD PERIODS: The NCHSAA institutes two "dead weeks" during the summer to allow for family vacations. No skill development will occur during these dead weeks. This year, those weeks are July 4-11 and July 19-25.
5. EXPIRING PHYSICALS: Due to Covid-19, for the 20-21 school year only, the NCHSAA granted an extension on many physicals that will carry through June 30th. However, that extension will end on 6/30/21 and those physicals will need to be renewed once they expire. Please note, THE NCHSAA PHYSICAL FORM HAS CHANGED.
a. Click HERE for the English version of the new physical form.
b. Click HERE for the Spanish version of the new physical form.
For questions regarding your current physical on file with the school, please email Head Athletic Trainer Denette Carte and email@example.com
6. FALL SPORTS OFFICIAL TRYOUTS/PRACTICES: Official fall sports practice/tryouts are scheduled to begin on Monday, 8/2/21. See below for a list of fall sports coaches. Please contact them concerning fall sports practices and tryouts for teams:
a. JV and V Football - firstname.lastname@example.org
b. JV and V Volleyball - email@example.com
c. Cross-Country - firstname.lastname@example.org
d. JV and V Fall Cheerleading - email@example.com
e. JV and V Men's Soccer - firstname.lastname@example.org
f. Women's Golf - email@example.com (Coach Bethea)
g. Women's Tennis - firstname.lastname@example.org
7. PARENT/BUSINESS INVOLVEMENT: While this year has been anything-but-normal, we truly appreciate all our parents and supporters who have reached out this year and helped our athletics program navigate through a difficult opening. We are anxiously anticipating a return towards a more normal athletics experience this fall. We encourage you to become involved in our Athletics Boosters Club. For more information, please email email@example.com.
a. There are also many opportunities to become involved in our sports program outside of participating in the Boosters Club. Things such as sponsoring team meals, photography, volunteering with game operations (public address annoucing, scoreboard operations, etc.), providing a helping hand to facilities maintenance, or business involvement are critical to providing our students a first-class experience. For more details on opportunities such as those or other skills that you may have to offer to our program, please contact Athletic Director, Phil Furr, at firstname.lastname@example.org
It's been a great year to be a Wolverine. Thanks for your patience and understanding. Have a great weekend,
Phil Furr, Athletic Director
Tag(s): West Cabarrus